Saturday, November 13, 2010

Mario Kart

As a child this was my favorite game on the SNES.  I have also played Mario Kart on the Game Cube and the DS and, in my opinion, the original outshines the new versions. The newer versions seem to run a lot on luck.  There are A TON more power ups, and it always seems on the last lap, especially if you're in 1st place somebody gets the dang blue shell and blows you up.  Talk about Annoying!!

Anyway back to the SNES version.  In this game you collect coins to gain speed.  Also, if somebody bumps you or you had to be fished out of water or a hole you'll lose coins.  There aren't as many power ups or objects as there are now, but that isn't really a bad thing.  My favorite power ups were the feather, so you could jump over obstacles, and the star.  Yes, I liked to plow into everything.

They also have a battle mode, which I'm absolutely horrible at.  Even in the newer versions of this game.  I"m not ashamed to say that I've had my butt handed to me by and 8 year old.  You basically just went crazy on a course, you got to choose from 4 different options.  The object of battle mode was to try to pop or steal their balloons, by throwing objects at them or ramming into them. 

I'm not a gamer, and I'm not trying to pretend to be one.  But to this day SNES Mario Kart is my favorite game.  I have so many fond memories of this game.  I also recently downloaded it to an emulator on my PC, but It's still not the same. 

1 comment: